Food Daydream #1 Burrata: An Affair to Remember

I decided to break up my VIPs (Very Important Posts, obviously) with something else. Something more exciting. I have two main passions in my life and neither one is chocolate.

That's right. You heard me. 

Those that may be familiar with my posts know that I am more than obsessed with cheese. It's a love affair. Burrata has been my lover since I first met him back in January. Burrata is the King of all Cheeses. Burrata is mozzarella inception. Cheese INSIDE of cheese!

It is stringy, fresh mozzarella with a mozzarella cream inside. When you slice into it, the inside breaks apart like a poached egg yolk and ooozes mozzarella cream onto whatever you had on your plate that was lucky: I'd start with arugula drizzled with olive oil, or fresh bruschetta. Or just bread. It doesn't require anything else. Everything else is just a perk. If I was brave enough, I would eat burrata like an apple, and let the cream dribble down my chin and stain my shirt...

OKAY. You get the picture. This is why I've named this style of post: Food DayDreams.

Why, you ask, am I writing about food when I am an aspiring author?

Because my dear, dear friends, why not? You get my two passions in one blog. Act more appreciative.

So I thought I'd get this show on the road with Burrata (as you may have guessed). Does it get any better than that? OooOOOoooozzing cheese inside of cheese?

Well, as it turns out, yes, it does. 

Enter: The Burrata Grilled Cheese


I ate this at a well-known pub around the corner from my office and my head exploded. Nothing could have prepared me. When I was finished, for the first time in my life, I was *cheesed* out, and refused to eat cheese for the rest of the week.

So, because not everyone has a pub nearby serving fancy cheeses, I brought you a recipe:

Ingredients

2 slices of thick cut bread (It's vitally important that this is thick sliced bread)
1 container of burrata* 
3 tbsp pesto
1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature

Instructions

1. Turn on the heat on medium low on your stove
2. Place a large pan over the heat.
3. Lightly butter the outside of two slices of thick, crusty bread.
4. Place the bread down in the pan butter side down.
5. Lightly spread the pesto on each bread slice that is facing up.
6. Drain and pat dry Burrata. Don't even think about popping that ball, or I'll hunt you down like the dog you are*. Set it on top of the pesto, delicately, and place the other piece of bread on top.
7. When lightly browned, flip the sandwich over. Cook until brown on the opposite side and the cheese is melted. (The cream inside the burrata may still be chilly, but you don't wan't to mess with this art.)
8. Take off the stove and slice in half. 
9. Marvel at the magnificence in front of you.
10. Take a bite and try your hardest to stop the string of cheese pulling from the sandwich to your mouth. 
11. Cry tears of joy.

Serves especially well with tomato soup or if you're feeling fancy, tomato basil bisque.


After this, I highly recommend an alka seltzer and a nap.


All my love,

L.B.

*Update: Turns out my local actually chops up the burrata and mixes it together, then they put it on the bread. It doesn't taste that way, so I'm sorry for calling you dogs.


 *Google search where to purchase Burrata near you. 
                   

Comments