The Trouble With Inspiration

I feel that one of the hardest parts of keeping a blog is finding things I'm passionate about writing . . . about. If I don't find it interesting, why on earth would I expect anyone else to?

If I were an overflowing wealth of passion and inspiration, I think it would be exhausting. Writing a post isn't like writing a story. A story is, again, settling into my imagination and seeing how far I can stretch. Blog posts are a mixture of essays from college, news articles and random bits of ideas that I find interesting. So I guess, nonfiction.

Which is *fine* but a lot less fun. To me.

When writing nonfiction I find myself burning out. Keeping up the inspiration and finding new things to share when I am inspired is like, coming up with recipe ideas when I'm hungry. THOUSANDS come to mind and it's easy as pie - (Get it?!) - so topic after topic flies into my mind. I write a few sentences and then keep running until the next topic floods my mind.


Pie.
 
Stoking that fire is hard. Keeping the momentum is hard. What is inspiration and how do you find it when it's gone? What is the muse?

So right now I have about ten blog posts tucked away that are about 50% done. They're fine but I am looking for that final burst of inspiration to round out the idea. What emotion am I conveying in the post? Am I frustrated? Angry? Happy? Sad? Which emotion do I display for the reader? Which form does  my passion take? What form does *your* passion take?

I find myself in a weird balancing act through most of my writing. My fairytales are sickeningly sweet, which means my short stories tend to be exceedingly dark. I write about food because, well, we all have eat three times a day, and when I first moved out I was broke and got bored eating salads. So I'd hunt down recipes online and teach myself things, (or really, The Food Network taught me things).

But where does inspiration come from? It doesn't come from inspirational meme's, that's for sure. Seeking inspiration is not the same as avoiding depression. Actually, inspirational meme's posted in public are a serious cry for help. Keep an eye on those friends and check in with them.

Exhibit A

The original definition of inspiration: The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.

But the second, less commonly used definition, is: the drawing in of breath; inhalation.

The combination of those two ideas is rather profound: Inspiration is breath.

While exhaling is burning fuel or the drudgery of day-to-day life, inspiration is inhaling new ideas.

Exhaling is the past.
Inspiration is the future.

We discuss inspiration as this fleeting moment that we chase after; a constant searching for this idea, this feeling that makes us burst with something to do or say. It causes us to write down our constantly changing thoughts on topics and try to make sense of the tumultuous, unsteady feeling in the pit of our stomachs.

Inspiration is the breath of life.

Inspiration is the almost violent pressure that causes poor men to fight to become rich, causes soldiers to run into battle, causes artists to imagine wind, and writers to create magic. Inspiration causes technology, leadership, religion, and discovery. Inspiration has caused every imaginable shift in the human world.

 I just really liked this photo.

And then it dies on you. It's not writer's block so much, it's just, the wind calming the sails. Stagnant air. Instead of speeding forward into the open ocean, you sit with a slow breeze on a glassy lake. While it's frustrating, it gives you time to look over what you've accomplished. It gives you time to make sure you're heading in the right direction.

Introspective retrospection. Yes, I'll call it that.

I believe we all truly want to inspire others. Be it to inspire others to act like you, or inspire others to jump ahead of you. I don't think we all sit here and hope that we'll be the best in anything. What a terrifying thought, for if you're the best at anything, it ends with you.

I'm afraid of the people that revel in others hiccups and downfalls. Unless the person failing is downright evil, I don't think that most of us are so selfish that we look upon anothers failure as a personal achievement.

We all want people to be proud of us. We want ourselves and others to feel important.

The best way to feel important is to act on inspiration. Even if no one notices, use your inspiration.

I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl. Change is necessary, inevitable, and stagnation is draining. Repetition is constructive and boring. I don't believe in writing for the sake of writing. This blog will never be one of predictable, "Here's Your Post" Tuesday's!

That's not me, I don't have that kind of rhythm and when I go to form it, my spirit dies.

So instead, I bring you ideas, plans, analogies, and comparisons, that were brought to me via pure and perfect inspiration. I won't be sharing some stupid idea about a man I saw crossing the street, unless it's absolutely hilarious and I can re-produce the circumstance.

My muse isn't steady and predictable. My muse is ever-changing.

Sometimes my muse is my anger or frustration.

Sometimes it's pleasure and beauty and ideals.

And sometimes, every so often, it's cheese.


All my love,
L.B.


Comments

  1. Yup. Still here and still reading. Others not other's. No possession. Still correcting, cause that's (that is) what I did before. That is also what I would expect from others. You are inspirational...I want to read what you have written to understand your motivation and your thought processes. Such ability to

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment