Balance Your Action with Humor

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine the other day about scary war scenes in fantasies and we agreed that some of the funniest (< --- yeah, I did it) scenes come out of the scariest moments. When drama has reached an all time high and there is a break for humor, (think, the Hobbits in LOTR, or Iron Man - In general) it makes it all more exciting.

You get a chance to relieve your anxiety by laughter, and you laugh harder for it.

One of my favorite scenes in a super hero movie is this:


This scenes embodies my point. This is the turning point in The Avengers, when no one can beat Loki and then the Hulk comes in and BAM. Problem solved. This moment is forever immortalized by gifs and articles, and it was a genius moment for the writers.

Breaking down the stress of a battle scene with humor is a winning combination. 

Anxiety can be very crushing, so while I love thrillers, I can't handle horror films. ESPECIALLY about ghosts. I am such a 'fraidy cat, I don't need to give my imagination anything else to work with, and I'm babbling...

Giving action a moment of comedy, gives your reader's nerves a chance to relax, and honestly, it draws me ever further into the moment. I get to chuckle away my stress and then dive back in to this horrifying or exciting scene.

Another example of this is Mrs. Weasley's ICONIC, "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
A scene that every person who has ever read HP knows, and everyone who has ever seen the final film pretends to understand. It's a precious moment where you laugh in shock and internally you cheer. You get chills and you feel the currents changing...

That's really all I have to say about that. I consider it far more effective to build stakes and stakes and stakes, then rip it all apart by one madman. This combination is the reason that Deadpool has become a worldwide phenomenon. People LOVE dark action comedy... and I feel like I'm revealing something that I shouldn't... Like when you write a five star review for your favorite restaurant and then the next time you go there it's twice the price and there's no reservations. Which is why I've stopped writing five star reviews all together...

Wait.

You know what? Ignore this entire blog post. Action comedies are terrible. Don't write them.

All my love,
L.B.

Comments